Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Bedtime Story and a Lesson on the Atonement

Tonight I read to my kids this book:


After I read the book to them and they were silent, I told them about two laws: the law of justice and the law of mercy. I then defined each law for them and gave them some examples.

Then I asked them about some of the bad choices they had made today. Now, obviously my children under the age of eight need no repentance, for they are innocent and pure. But it was a great teaching moment. We talked about when they hit their brother or sister, or when they told a lie, how that was a sin and needed to be paid for. Then I asked if they knew about anyone who had paid for our sins.

Westley told me that Jesus had paid for our sins. We talked about what He had done in the Garden of Gethsemane and how when he did that, he satisfied both the law of justice and the law of mercy.

Then I related it back to the story we had read and how the bigger boy satisfied both laws.

It was a wonderful moment and the kids actually seemed to listen.

No comments: