Friday, December 30, 2011

Discovery Gateway Children's Museum

Over the kids' break from school, after Christmas, we used some coupons to visit the Discovery Gateway Children's Museum.  The kids really enjoyed it and had a lot of fun.

Eliza on the life-sized horse statue
Jonah playing in the baby/toddler area

the kids checking out the real helicopter they had on the roof

After spending the morning at the museum, we headed over to the mall food court to eat lunch and allowed each kid to pick which food they wanted for lunch.  We had food from Hot Dog on a Stick, Subway, Panda Express, McDonald's, and some Japanese place I can't remember the name of.  We don't usually do that, but it was kind of fun to do.  In the picture, the kids are waiting for Corey and I to finish eating so we can go back to the museum.

We rode the train from South Jordan all the way into down town Salt Lake City.  That was fun for the kids too.  

I will say this.  I wasn't as impressed with the Children's Museum as I thought I'd be.  It was an indoor playland, basically, with some areas for exploration in science and careers, but it was kind of overpriced for what it was.  I know West Valley has a similar set-up at one of their recreation centers that is much, much cheaper.  Also, I kind of wished it was like Makutu's Island in Chandler, AZ, where you get a matching wristband with your group  members and the number of people in your group and the whole area is enclosed and nobody can leave without them checking your wristbands to make sure that you are leaving with the right person.  Gives the kids so much more freedom for exploration and lessens the worry on the parents to keep a sharp eye out for the kids in such a big area where the kids all have different interests.  Keeping track of four roaming kids while holding a baby, even with Corey's help, was not an easy task.

No comments: