We had Jonah's one year pictures done a little late. When Westley was a baby, I bought a little tuxedo for him to get his picture taken in at the age of one. I saved the tuxedo for Caleb and Travis's one year pictures too. I even bought a second tuxedo a few sizes bigger for Westley when Caleb was old enough to fit in the one year one and the boys wore their little tuxedos to my brother's wedding, back when we only had the two boys. But a few summers ago, when I was struggling with some issues (namely, PCOS) and was told it would be hard to conceive again, I ended up selling the tuxedos, along with a bunch of other baby boy clothes. So when Jonah came along, I no longer had the tuxedo for his one year picture.
We found a cute vest outfit earlier this year for the picture, but it just wasn't formal enough compared to all the other one year pictures of the kids. Eliza was in a fancy dress for her one year picture, so putting Jonah in a navy blue vest suit with a blue button shirt just didn't seem right. I checked at Dillard's, where we bought the original tuxedos for the boys, and they still had the same/similar tuxedo. But it was like $50, and I didn't want to pay that much.
Then I remembered that I had the pattern for the baby blessing outfit we blessed all the boys in. I made that outfit during the two weeks that Westley was in the NICU after he was born. When I made the outfit, I didn't cut the pattern to the smallest size, I had actually traced it onto some tracing paper instead. So I had all the pattern pieces up to 18 months completely intact. I decided to use the pattern and make Jonah a tuxedo to get his one year picture taken in so he would (sort of) match his older brothers. Luckily, I even had black and white fabrics to use for the tuxedo so all I had to buy was a couple of buttons, a zipper and some snap tape (which was the most expensive part, the snap tape). The tuxedo ended up costing me about $12.
Unfortunately, even though I measured him and checked sizes over and over, the tuxedo ended up being too small, but I was able to use a pair of black corduroy pants over the bottom of the tuxedo (which was the too small part) and the pictures came out fine. If we end up having another boy, I may just remake the tuxedo (still have tons of black and white fabric) in the larger size.The pictures turned out cute though and I was glad to finally have them done!
No comments:
Post a Comment