Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Stomach Bug and New Car





We got up one morning to find that Annmarie had thrown up in her crib.  We thought maybe she had just coughed too much or something because nobody else was sick.  I went about my daily activities, which included taking the van in to get the brakes checked because they were screeching.  I had had them replaced only about six months before.  So we went to Les Schwab.  After we got there and they took the car back, suddenly, Jonah started throwing up.  Then Annmarie started throwing up.  I was waiting for my car to be done, since they still had it back and were fixing it.  Finally, we got the car, which, thankfully was fixed for free because the brakes were still under warranty.

We went home and I barricaded Annmarie and Jonah into the living room with sheets and towels covering everything.  We spent the day dealing with throw up and messes, but by the next day both Jonah and Annmarie were better.  I sent the older kids off to school and everything seemed fine.

Until Eliza called from school saying she had thrown up.  I went and picked her up.  After school, I let the older boys go to the library.  Then I had to take Travis to baseball practice.  I left Eliza home because she was throwing up.  I went to the library to pick up the boys and then stopped at the store on the way home to buy some groceries for dinner.  My plan was to get the food, take it home, then go get Travis from the baseball field.

As I was pulling out of Smith's, the van died.  The transmission was completely gone.  We left the car in the parking lot at Smith's, after getting people to help us push it back, and started walking home.  Corey picked us up on the way.  We went home, then he went to get Travis.  This was on Westley's birthday.  It was not the best birthday.

Travis and Caleb stayed home from school the next day for throwing up.  I had it all day Friday too.  Corey had it on Saturday.  Margrethe got it the next week.  Westley never got it.  That was probably the best birthday present he got!

As for the van, we got a new one. It's a 2014 Honda Odyssey.  We got the full extended warranty too, so hopefully it won't give us any major headaches for the first seven years.




No comments: