Wednesday, June 13, 2018
Kids in the Kitchen
The first summer we lived here, I decided to teach my kids how to cook while they were out of school. I set up a rotation system where they each had a day each week and that day rotated (since Fridays were always pizza days). They picked all the meals for their assigned day and let me know the week before when I would grocery shop what they needed. Then I taught them how to cook the food. I loved the system so much that we have repeated it every summer since. And the kids like it too. It has really helped me be able to tell them, "Go start the meat for the spaghetti" or "come make a tossed salad" when we're on a busy weeknight and I need some help. Plus, it's preparing them for life on their own.
So, of course this summer, I'm doing it again. I gave them a week off after school got out and then we started. Travis made rolls on his own and Annmarie learned how to make mini pizzas made from hamburger buns. I love that they choose the menu (making the menu is one of my big stressors) and I love that they pick things they like so there is less complaining about the food. It's hard to duplicate this system during the school year because of scheduling with the older kids and their activities (and the fact that the high school kids don't even get home until 5 pm), but it's perfect for the summers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment