Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thoughts About Sleep

Here it is, the end of November. We are currently staying in Mesa at my parents' house until the baby is born. This is because Corey is always gone with school and work. He was going to be gone for the whole week this week, so we decided to pack up and come stay. That way, I wouldn't have to find people in the middle of the night to come watch the kids and take me to the hospital if I were to go into labor. Instead, either Corey can take me to the hospital, or my dad (if Corey isn't here), with my mom staying with the kids.

So it's been interesting staying here. The boys aren't sleeping well, neither am I (but for different reasons--mine are contractions galore). I kind of just want her to come to put me out of my misery of these horrible contractions that plague me at night!

Westley has been pulling "no sleep" nights and days. He goes to bed between 6 and 7. Some nights I try to get him to bed at 6 because he just doesn't sleep long enough at night. He ALWAYS gets up at 5 am to go to the bathroom. Then he won't go back to sleep, and often wakes up Caleb. If we get him to come into our bed so he won't bother Caleb, he ends up talking and messing around and still not sleeping, just he keeps us awake instead. Then he won't, absolutely WILL NOT nap during the day. Occasionally he has, but the conditions have to be JUST perfect. I finally got him to nap today, but I think it's because he cried himself to sleep after I laid into him. I was just so mad at him for his antics. I told him he HAD to stay on the bed and couldn't get off. I guess I said it angrily enough that it scared him into staying in bed and he finally fell asleep.

Caleb spends nap time filling his diaper. Even though he's doing great with #1 on potty training, he still isn't doing well with #2. So he spends the first 30 minutes to an hour filling his pants and then I have to change his diaper and try to get him to lay back down to nap.

Travis spends his naptimes crying. Today he spent the whole hour crying (we usually let him cry for 1 to 1-1/2 hours to see if he'll cry himself to sleep). He cried the whole time and never went to sleep. That was for the morning nap. Then I took him with me on an errand in the car, and he had a hard time staying awake. What a little punk! Then, for the afternoon nap, he cried out about every 1/2 hour for a couple hours. I don't know if he even slept in between the moments I would hear him or not. No wonder he's completely exhausted by 6 pm. Usually, if Westley doesn't wake him up in the morning, he'll sleep until at least 6, sometimes later.

With all these sleep issues and a new baby coming soon, I'm very nervous about ever being able to sleep again. I may not sleep for a very LONG time. Needless to say, this is the last baby for at least a while. I need to get back some sleep!!!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I am so sorry Jenna. I know how hard it is too get sleep when you are that far along, and to factor other kids with their own ideas about sleeping is just a nightmare! I hope you sleep well tonight. I plan on visiting our girls on Thursday. I remembered you were in Mesa, so no worries:) I pray that you get some much needed sleep! Hang in there.. when you come back let me know & I can wrangle up your boys to play at my house...so you can get a nap!

Jordan said...

Sleep is important, and unfortunately rare for the parents of young children. But don't worry- soon enough you WILL get sleep again. Peter was about 5 or 6 when he finally stopped bugging us at the ungodly time he wakes up, and started entertaining himself by reading, folding origami, or whatever else he does in the wee morning hours when he is awake and we are asleep. He also started entertaining the girls when they would get up. And for a while, Matthew even slept until later in the morning.

(Of course, since the change from daylight savings time, we have to get up super early again... :()

But chin up- your days of sleep will return again before you know it. Just try not to keel over dead in the meantime...

Michael and Lindsey said...

Hey Jenna-

Keep your chin up! Yes, the sleep issues are definitely a bear sometimes. It was great to see you this afternoon. It had been too long. Let's get in touch this Saturday (that is, if you make it to Saturday--you could be a proud new ma).
-Lindsey

Melissa said...

Jenna:

Hi, it's been a long time. I got your blog from your brother Jordan. We grew up together in the R2 ward. There are some of the old gang trying to contact others from the "good ol days". As a matter of fact a few years back, Rusty Taylor asked if anyone had kept in touch with you or your family. By the way, you have such a cute family. Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl. I hear you're having her today! Now in regards to the sleep, I agree with Jordan. Kids don't seem to start sleeping well until they are 5-6 years old. My youngest is about to be 3 and I'm counting down the years until I get to sleep again. Cheer up! It will happen and then you'll look back and think how long ago it was. Good luck with everything and e-mail me when you get the chance. tannermelissa@yahoo.com , but you probably remember me as Melissa Lane!