Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Life in Utah

My digital camera is pretty much toast, although I still am going to take it in to a photo shop and have it looked at. But I'm guessing that there's nothing I can do for it, it has bit the dust. So there will be no pictures until I can get another one.

We arrived here just before General Conference weekend. For those of you who read the King Letters I send weekly, you already know that Corey was able to attend priesthood session in the Conference Center with my brother Jordan and my dad, who helped us drive up. Jordan happened to be in Utah for a law society conference, so it was good to see him.

The first week we were here, Corey was in California all week. Yes, we arrived on Friday morning, unloaded the truck, unpacked as much as we could, spent Saturday and Sunday unpacking and grocery shopping, etc., and then Corey left on Sunday afternoon for California for 2nd man's class all week. He got home around 11:30 pm on Friday night, and my cousin Andy was so kind to pick him up from the airport and bring him home.

I spent the week unpacking and trying to get settled in. I visited a few people and ran lots of errands. I registered Westley for school and he started on Tuesday. School here is from 9:00 a.m. to 3:50 in the afternoon!

Corey got home and we spent Saturday unpacking more and running errands. On Sunday we went to our ward for the first time. The meeting block is 1-4 pm. It seemed okay, people said hello, and everything. I even knew two people from before. One was a girl I cheered with in high school. She was on the varsity squad my senior year, but she was a junior. We had 6 cheerleaders and 6 songleaders. She and I were cheerleaders, that meant that we went up in the stunts. The other girl was in a BYU ward of mine when I lived in Regency. So it was kind of cool to see some people I knew. Next week is stake conference, and it happens to be at the Conference Center because President Monson is presiding.

That's about all. We are trying to get more settled. The weather has been cold for me. We had to buy new wardrobes for all the kids. I could probably use some new winter clothes and shoes myself, but we spent all the money on the kids. Oh well. Guess it will be sweatshirts and jeans and really old tennis shoes for me this winter. The kids are all set, so they are really looking forward to the snow.

So weird that we're in Utah now. I really do miss Arizona!

3 comments:

Tiffany Wacaser said...

Jenna, I've been meaning to tell you that just because your church is later and you are having issues with your stove, doesn't mean you can't still have a roast. I make roast often on Sundays just using my regular oven. I typically set the oven at 325 and it cooks for the entire duration of church. My mom has used this method for decades. I've never had problems with burning or undercooking. The other thing you can do is to use a crock pot if you have one. I also do this often.

JennaK said...

Thanks Tiffany, I am going to try and use a crockpot, since many people have suggested it, but I still don't really know how to do it. We might also just do the roast for an early lunch, like around 11 or 11:30 because Corey will most likely have to work most Sundays at 4:30 and won't even be able to attend the last hour of church until the time changes so won't be home for dinner.

Tiffany Wacaser said...

I have several recipes for crockpot roast. Would you like me to send you some? I know your recipe is absolutely delicious, so it seems like it is more an issue of timing than anything. My experience has been that roasts typically take 6-8 hours on high to cook. So if you wanted a roast done by 11 or 11:30, you would have to start the roast, at the lastest around 5 a.m. What I typically do is prepare everything the night before, put the crockpot in the refrigerator, and then the next morning take it out and turn it on. Email me and I can pass on other tips if you want.