Saturday, July 16, 2011

Summer Fun and Learning

We have been having a fantastic summer!

I like having structured days, but I also like having the freedom to change the plans last minute. I definitely love summer for that reason.

So I decided to set up a schedule that we would follow, a routine. In the mornings, we are almost always up by 7 am. So we'll eat breakfast and get ready for the day, following the same morning routine that we follow during the school year (get up, make beds, say prayers, get dressed, eat breakfast, brush teeth, read scriptures). We mostly do all that. It's harder without the deadline of the bus to get some of it done at all.

At 8 or 8:30, on Mondays and Tuesday, I teach my two older boys piano lessons. I tried with the two younger ones, but it just didn't work out. On Monday, Westley has his lesson and Caleb practices. On Tuesday, Caleb has his lesson and Westley practices. Then, on the other days, that time is practice time for both. On Fridays, while the one is practicing, I am doing music theory with the other one. Then they switch.

We've spent some time doing art lessons on Mondays and Thursdays. I taught some basic drawing skills to the older two boys.

They also had swimming lessons the first couple weeks of summer.

On Tuesdays and Wednesdays we have two different play groups we go to at 10 a.m.

We eat lunch around noon. After lunch, it's quiet time. We have reading time for 30 minutes of quiet time and then 30 minutes where they can do something else quiet or they can keep reading. That's when the older boys do their math pages too.

We have spent at least one afternoon a week in the library checking out books.

We try to go swimming most afternoons. There is also playing outside, having park tours, going to the zoo, and other things. The kids just love having free time to play however they want also.




So it's been a great summer.

No comments: