Thursday, April 3, 2008

Flush the Fish

I was sitting here looking at blogs just now and Westley comes up behind me. "Mom, I'm going to flush Goopy down the toilet, okay?" I turn around to see Westley holding the dead goldfish by the tail.

The back story--Goopy was the goldfish that Caleb got in Sunbeams on Sunday, where they learned to be grateful for fish. We didn't expect him to last this long, as the only "tank" we had for him was a rather large vase, not even a fishbowl. He died this morning. Actually, it was pretty pathetic, as we watched him die. He'd float down to the bottom on his side, like he was gasping for air (or whatever fish gasp for), then he'd suddenly swim up to the top, very lethargic-like though, and then repeat the cycle until there was no more swimming to the top and his little gills had stopped moving. So, how many of you can say you've actually watched a goldfish die?

4 comments:

Jenny said...

it is the saddest thing. Quite pathetic.. i alwys tell Jason just to flush it to get it out of its misery. We have had fish on & off for 5 years. Glad to see you let your boys do the dirty work too! We should get together again. Are you coming to the playgroup tomorrow?

JennaK said...

I don't think I'm coming tomorrow because we have a primary activity in the afternoon, and I don't want to do too much. But I should be there next week!

Jillian said...

Jonathon got me a fish for Christmas, or my birthday, or something, when we were kids. In all my kid wisdom, I filled the bowl up to the tippy-tippy top and came home from school to find that the fish had jumped out and now resembled a piece of beef jerky.

Pretty sure I flushed him and acted like I had NO IDEA where the fish went. I felt pretty bad, apparently lying was the best way to deal with that.

Michael and Lindsey said...

That's too bad. Fish don't last long in our house either.