Friday, November 13, 2009

Movie Days

We have all been sick here this week, all but Corey that is. Westley is on school break, so it's been a bummer that we've all been sick and homebound. I had big plans to go to the zoo, go to Thanksgiving Point, go to the Bean Museum at BYU, etc. But we have been unable to leave the house. I decided to try and make things fun despite that, so on Monday, we came up with the idea to have "movie days".

Westley and Caleb picked out 6 movies they wanted to watch. Then Westley and I sat down and drew and colored the "movie posters". Basically, I just drew the main picture from the DVD cover and the title and then Westley colored them. The DVDs we picked were: Tom and Jerry: The Movie, Cars, Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas, 101 Dalmatians, Snow White, and Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas.

After that was done, we made a concessions poster offering bottled water, candy and popcorn. I used images I found online for that. We also made a schedule of the movies to span Tuesday and Wednesday--with showings at 10:00 a.m., 2:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Then we made movie tickets using my Print Shop program. I made a wallet for each child out of construction paper and then Westley and I gather up all the 5's and 1's from the Monopoly money and passed out 5 1's and 2 5's to each person. I popped the popcorn and set up the concessions stand and we had our "movie days".

I know, I know, letting the kids eat all that candy and popcorn all day, shame on me. But we enjoyed our "movie days" and had some fun even though we were all sick!

4 comments:

Devin & Ruthann said...

I think it's great you made a fun thing to do while everyone was sick. Eating candy all day one time day isn't gonna hurt them. They'll remember how fun it was when they played movie days!

Becky said...

Let me know when you come to the Bean Museum! I work here and I can show you some live animals :)

香織 said...

What a creative mom you are! I would be so stressed out and not be able to think that creative.
I hope your kids get well soon.

Unknown said...

I loved hearing about your movie day! How creative and memory making--you are a wonderful mother!