Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Caleb's Preschool

I haven't posted much about the preschool activities I do with Caleb since the first week of it. But we have done some fun things with it. Caleb's preschool has been different than Westley's. Westley already knew his letters and was really familiar with numbers and number concepts. Caleb is very good with numbers and number concepts but not so strong with letters. So with Westley, I did a lot more science and social studies where I could incorporate basic reading skills. With Caleb, I've had to really focus on learning individual letters and their sounds. We have done some science, but not as much as I did with Westley, just because of the amount of time we've spent working on the letters.

If you want to look at what we've done since moving here in detail, you can visit my preschool blog. Here, I just want to post some pictures with brief explanations.
The Letter X--X-rays
We traced the outline of Caleb's body (all the other kids did this too) and then drew the bones inside.
We made a giant graph of different types of footwear:
slippers, snowboots, cowboy boots, and tennis shoes.

We made a tent for the letter T.

Caleb made an alphabet book using pictures from old magazines. It was to review the entire alphabet. Usually we focus on one letter a week, but after every 3-4 letters, we stop and review all the letters we've learned so far. He is now done with all 21 consonants and working on the vowels.
We made a graph of people's pets--dogs, cats, fish and other pets (birds mostly). I posted the question on Facebook and took the statistics from the responses. If you responded to that sometime last month, thanks, it really helped us out a lot!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

You are amazing. I am so impressed that you do preschool for your kids. That is such a great talent and effort. I am sure your kids love it!!

Unknown said...

All those who think Jenna ought to offer preschool to other children, raise your hand!