Thursday, July 29, 2010

Little Helpers



Eliza loves to set the table. She's pretty good at it too.

I finally set up a chore system for the kids--they rotate through four chores: table setter, laundry/garbage, dishes, and dog duty. The kids rotate once each week and they change seats at the table based on their chore. I borrowed that one from my parents. It works, since the kids kept fighting over who they got to sit next to, I finally started this rotation system, and now they don't complain about it nearly as much. Of course, Travis and Eliza can't really do the dishes, so they help me clear out the dishwasher. And the laundry/garbage job mostly means helping sort the laundry on laundry day and gather up the smaller trashes from the bathrooms on garbage day. Dog duty involves feeding Snoopy and as they get older, picking up the poop in the yard on a daily basis and even walking him once they're big enough.

They all love helping and are excited every week when we change the chart and they change seats. I know someday they'll hate it, but I'm loving that they love it. Oh, and I also made this chart that shows where to put the plate, utensils, and glass at the table, so they know how to set it properly. It's great.

No comments: