Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween 2013--Boo-ya-ka-sha!!

The kids decided to be the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and April O'Neil for Halloween this year.  I made their costumes.  I bought sweatshirts from a website for pretty cheap.  I found fabric that matched their sweatshirts pretty closely.  Then I sewed on a turtle stomach on the sweatshirts.  I made shells by making a pillow and then sewing a strap or straps onto the shell that went around the sweatshirt.  They got the face masks and weapons from some Ninja Turtle toys last Christmas. 

Travis in his Rafael Ninja Turtle costume, trying it on when I was done sewing it

All of the kids at the ward Fall Festival.  I was able to purchase an actual Michelangelo sweatshirt for Jonah's costume.

About an hour before the ward party, we had a brilliant idea to have Annmarie, Margrethe, and I go as a hamburger, fries, and a Coke.  Annmarie already had the drink cup onesie.  Corey fashioned a drink lid hat for her, complete with straw, and I sewed a little hat that we glued the lid onto.  For Margrethe's costume, we took a box from the garage and Corey cut and taped it into the fry boat shape and then covered it with some white butcher paper we have, then I drew on the palm trees.  He added rope straps and I sewed big French fries out of some leftover yellow fabric I had from the Ninja Turtle costume bellies and batting from the shell pillows.  Then we made a hamburger costume out of one of Corey's big white T-shirts.  We glued fabric on to look like a hamburger, a double-double, actually, and then stuffed it with pillows after it was on me.  I'd like to say we were the hit of the party, but I'm not sure very many people even noticed our awesome last-minute digs.

Here are the kids in their Ninja Turtle poses.  Travis=Rafael, Caleb=Leonardo, Eliza=April, Westley=Donatello, and Jonah=Michelangelo

We barely do Halloween as it is, so our kids are lucky to get one pumpkin carved into a Jack-o-Lantern.  Every year, we let each of them draw the face they want and then Corey picks one element from each of the faces they'd drawn and carves it into the pumpkin.  Once again, I take terrible pictures, but this was less blurred than the other one. 

No comments: