Another thing I did this summer, that I have done in the past, is put up a list of things the kids have to do before they can play and do electronics. One of those things was creative play for at least an hour. I gave the kids a list of ideas of things they could do for creative/free play. One idea on the list was fort building.
I also got the Kids Bowl Free passes this summer. It wasn't really free because I had to pay a $5 service fee for each pass and I bought a pass for Corey and I to use, plus you have to rent the shoes and, unlike Utah, where the shoes were only a couple bucks, here they are about $5/pair, so it ends up getting quite pricey. My plan was to go at least once a week, but we never had enough money, so we ended up only going bowling two times total all summer.
I also signed up some of the kids for some police camps. Sachse city offered a police camp for elementary age kids that was entirely free. The junior high police camp offered through Westley's school was also free, plus the cost of the T-shirts. Travis and Eliza went all week, just from 8-12 every morning and they did it with their cousin Maggie. Westley's was from 8-5 every day for the whole week and involved intense training and activity. He was not very happy about going, although he was happy about the idea when I first told him about it and we signed him up, but I think he gained a lot from the experience and will look back on it fondly.
And the picture of me in this post is because I got all dressed up to go somewhere and wanted to snap a picture of how I looked because anytime I actually look good, I like to document it as proof that I can clean up well if I want to.







No comments:
Post a Comment