When I found out that the Union Pacific Big Boy 4014, the world's largest operating steam locomotive, was touring America and would be in East and North Texas in September/October, I made an effort to go see it. I first tried with my parents in September when it was supposed to be in a small town in East Texas. It was a few hours driving there and when we got there, we learned that the train was delayed by several hours, so we couldn't stay and wait and had to go home. I don't know if my parents ever did end up seeing it. About a week later, it was coming back up from Houston and I got Paige to go with me to see it as it came through from Big Sandy on its way to Houston, and we met it alongside the road as it made it's way to Corsicana, right around a town called Rice.
About a week later, I took the kids to see it stopped over in Fort Worth, where people could go up to it and see it up close while it was on display. Two days later, it left Forth Worth on it's way to Oklahoma, so we caught it alongside the tracks as it made it's way there. It was sure a sight to see--so big, powerful, and loud. Definitely worth it to see this train in action!
*this picture is one I snagged from social media just to get a better view of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment