Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Bright Boy

I know that every parent thinks their own child is the most brilliant around, but I really do think Westley is super-bright. I mean, the boy is already reading on his own (not perfectly, I admit, but he sounds out the words and can figure most of them out by himself), he draws the most amazingly creative pictures of animals, people driving cars and trucks, dinosaurs, and neighborhoods. Right now he is working on a "hidden picture" page for his own hidden picture book. He is also very creative in his play, how he always pretends to be superman, spiderman, soldier spiderman, or super football man, or whatever. This is usually based on whatever shirt or pants or a combination of both that he is wearing that day. When he wears his In-N-Out T-shirt with his red shorts, he becomes a "daddy worker guy". There is really no limit to his imagination. It's great!

I think he's absolutely brilliant. He loves books and loves drawing pictures. I admit he hates coloring, and that will be a disadvantage for him in school, but what use does coloring really have in comparison to the active imagination and artistic ability that he already has? Well, I'm anxious to see how he'll do in school. I'm not sure all the structure will be conducive to his talents, but we'll just have to wait and see...

No comments: