Monday, March 9, 2009

Life Has Gotten Busy!

Now I understand why moms with kids who are involved in something, anything, are so busy and so exhausted! Westley is in Tball now, and granted, I did sign up to be team mom, so that's extra work on my part, but just getting to practices, and then games (starting this Saturday) just seems to fill up that schedule, even though it's only twice a week.

Westley has practice every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30, which is right during dinnertime, so we've been eating earlier and then when we get home, the kids have to get ready for bed. But Thursday night is bath night, so they have to take baths and then get in p.j.'s, etc. It just seems like so much when we're out until 6:30, sometimes a little later. I definitely don't get them into bed by 7:30 on those nights, and there's not much time for reading at bedtime.

Westley's homework load is also stressful. It's not really a lot, but it's just there's something he has to do every day, and it's all parent-led, none of it is something I can just hand him the paper and pencil and say, "do it". I have to read with him, time him doing things, or work with him on a project of this or that. I think homework should be the child's responsibility, not the parent's, but apparently this school's kindergarten has a different view on it. I know that in my teacher education, they were always stressing getting the parents involved, but I'm already involved, and I loathe being told how to be involved when I already am. So goes the idea that the few ruin it for the many.

Other than that, it's just busy around here keeping up with these four little kiddos. Eliza is definitely going to keep me on my toes, now that she climbs onto everything. I have to watch her like a hawk. Caleb and Travis are usually pretty content to just watch TV, if I let them, but I don't want them watching TV all day, so it takes quite a bit of effort to get those two interested in doing something else.

And that is why bedtime for me should be 8:30!

1 comment:

Tiffany Wacaser said...

If I were you, I'd move the bath routine to a different night. I think in the interest of making things less stressful that would be a easy solution.

And now you are going to be shocked, but I only bathe my kids once a week during the school year. The take baths on Saturday. I have just found a mid-week bath to be stressful. Plus, all my kids have excema and the water and soap really causes problems for them.