This morning we wake up to Eliza crying at about 6 am. Not surprising, that's always right about when our little alarm clock goes off--usually it's earlier even. So Corey goes and brings her back to our room, and she has one of those really runny, out-of-the-back, out-the-legs types of diapers. She had a little of this yesterday, so I wasn't too surprised, and the rash wasn't too bad yet. We change her diaper, put her in the tub for a few minutes, and then get her dressed for the day.
Later on, I check on Eliza, who seems to be playing happily in her room, and notice that the legs of her jeans are wet. Yep, a diaper disaster. This time I find that her rash is a lot worse. After lunch, when I change Eliza again, she's in the process of going, and it just keeps coming while I'm trying to change her. She seems finished and then, with just long enough for me to get her all the way dry before putting on fresh baby powder and a clean diaper, she goes again, screaming the whole time. I go through about 4 diapers like this. Her rash is getting exponentially worse every second. Finally, I get a dry, clean diaper on her and she relaxes in Corey's arms. We decide that she needs a nap, so I take Westley to his game, leaving Corey home with the three little ones.
This has continued all day, and she is getting worse and worse. It's horrible. She's eating fine. She's drinking fine. So I don't think it's a stomach bug, I think it's toddler diarrhea, which is caused by drinking too much juice. So we've cut out the juice and milk and she's only drinking water, but she is SO miserable. I just feel terrible for her! I've tried baby powder, diaper rash creme, even Vaseline, and nothing seems to help. The problem is the constant dirtying of the diaper, I change her about every 20-30 minutes. Her little behind is so red and raw that it makes me cringe just to see the darn thing. I feel so bad that she's in such pain!
Then, while I was dealing with a really bad one, sitting her in a lukewarm tub with her screaming the whole time, Travis decides to stand on the doll stroller and falls off, hitting his mouth, and he comes running down the hall with blood dripping down his front, while I'm on the phone with a friend seeking her advice about diaper rash cures.
Poor baby Eliza, I hope the rash starts to clear up really soon, but I recall from when she was a newborn, that her skin doesn't heal very fast from these rashes. It's best to prevent them because they take a long time to get rid of (one she had for about 3 weeks before it finally started drying up all the way). I just feel so bad for her being in such pain!
2 comments:
Have you tried liquid Maalox? It is made to relieve burning from heartburn but releives the burning from the acid in the diarreah also. Sometimes that works with my kids. I just dab it on with a cotton ball.
No, I haven't tried it, but I'll keep it in mind. She seems to be doing much better today.
Post a Comment