Monday, October 23, 2017

Homecoming Parade


We went to the Wylie High School Homecoming Parade. Kaori brought her kids to it too.  Westley was marching in it with the band, of course.  Fun fact:  Wylie High School doesn't actually have a formal homecoming dance.  They found that not enough students went to make the expense worth it so they stopped doing it quite some time ago.  But heaven forbid you mention it's weird, because they'll eat you alive and tell you how they like it this way so they'll keep doing it this way.  Despite not having a dance, they still do the crazy ridiculous Texas tradition of exchanging mums.  I remember when I moved away from Texas in 10th grade, I was surprised to find that mums were not a thing anywhere else, that they were a Texas thing.  I was disappointed.  In the ensuing years, I forgot about mums.  Until Facebook arrived and my Texas friends would post about mums every year around Homecoming time.  Now that I'm back here, I almost hope we move before Eliza has a chance to get a mum.  What a ridiculous tradition! 

Moving on...I didn't get any pictures of the actual parade because, well, I am terrible at taking pictures, my phone takes terrible pictures, and I can't ever get a good one of Westley while he marches by anyway.  But we still had a good time.  And Kevin Watts, a boy in our ward who is a senior (and a football player) was a nominee for Homecoming King, which I thought was pretty cool.  A Mormon out here in Texas being nominated for something like that! 

Westley is only a freshman and will therefore not be attending the Homecoming celebration (they have a party after the game instead of a dance the next night).  But we will be going to the game.  I do enjoy going to these games with my kids.

No comments: