Saturday, March 24, 2018

Busy Saturday


This morning I took Eliza to the Japanese cultural celebration at the library.  I tried to get all of the other kids to come, but they refused.  It was too bad because if Aaron and Kaori were still here instead of living in Japan, they probably would have come with us as well. I did send out an invite to Adam and Eve but they did not come.  Eliza loved learning to fold origami with the Japanese woman who was instructing us.  We also watched a few different Japanese dances in the foyer of the library.  I love learning about other cultures!



Then I took Westley, Caleb, and Eliza to the the 50 Year celebration for J.J. Pearce High School.  My older brothers, Jordan and John, graduated from J.J. Pearce in 1993 and 1994.  I was a sophomore at J.J. Pearce for about six months until we moved to Utah that year.  We searched the class panoramic pictures for Jordan and John but could not find Jordan.  We did find John and I took a picture of the section he is in.  Can you see him? 

We listened to the brass quintet play some songs and stayed for some performances from the choir as well as walking around the school.  I didn't really run into anyone I knew, other than my old gymnastics coach's wife, Mrs. Larimer and one of my former gymnastics teammates, Scott Hrnack, who I'm sure had no idea who I was, as I was not even on his radar despite being one of only eight gymnasts on the school team (four girls and four boys).  I did move right when competition season was amping up, though, so that probably has a lot to do with why he wouldn't know me.

It was fun to see Pearce, but it would have been better if Jordan and John had been there with me.  Jordan would have loved it.  I almost bought a stone to be dedicated to Jordan for the quad where they are building some sort of statue or something, but it was $50, and in the end I just chickened out of spending the money.  I'll probably regret that decision.  After walking around Pearce, it made me really glad that I moved and went to Bingham.  Don't get me wrong, Pearce was a good school and I made some pretty good friends when I lived in Richardson, but I think high school ended up being better for me at Bingham than it would have been at Pearce.

No comments: