Monday, May 4, 2020

No More School

Here we have what I found when I walked into the room on a Sunday afternoon. Corey had a surgery on April 16th and took two weeks off and returned to work on May 4th, so this was his last day off. But I walked into the room and found everyone quietly sitting on their devices.

We also found out at the end of April that school would not resume at all for the rest of the year due to covid-19.  So our principal of Wylie High School, Mr. Virdie Montgomery, made it his goal to visit all 612 graduating seniors at home and deliver a personal message and a candy bar.  His quest made first the local news, then went national.  I was watching the news one afternoon and saw the story about Mr. Montgomery come on the NBC Nightly news.  I was surprised and excited!  Our prinicpal of Wylie High School is the best.  He is due to retire soon.  I hope it's not this year.  So many teachers have announced their retirements this year.  Mrs. Schara, the third grade teacher of Travis and Eliza.  The choir teacher at Draper.  The principal at Wylie East.  And others are just leaving, like the choir teacher at Cooper is going to Wylie East.  Every time once announces it, I feel like I'm being punched in the gut.  I think it's because we haven't seen anyone in person for so long that these announcements are more gut-wrenching than usual.  I'm sad that when Travis and Eliza finally do their senior walk at the elementary school, Mrs. Schara won't be there, and very likely, none of the other teachers they had will be there either.



No comments: